2017 Upcoming Events
The Platte Valley Arts Council is sponsoring the first annual Hay Bale Sculpture Contest. We would like to invite you to show off some good old ranch ingenuity and give your outfit creative bragging rights.
Now that haying season is almost over, we invite you to create a sculpture made predominantly of those bales you spent so much lime putting up this summer. You may incorporate wood, metal, wire, paint, canvas dams, or anything else you dream up into your sculpture. We want all of our Valley residents to have a chance to see your handiwork, so place your works of art close to the highway or county road. We will also post pictures of your entry on our face book page: http://www.facebook.com/PlatteValleyArts
Entries are due by October 2, 2017 by mailing the form (included in this album of photos or entering on our Facebook page by messaging us or email: PlatteValleyArts@gmail.com
Your masterpiece should be completed by October 16, 2017 as the photos will be taken and posted to start the voting process on the l7th. Photos of entries, locations/directions/map will be placed here on the Platte Valley Arts Council page, and folks will be asked to vote for their favorite.
In addition to promoting awareness of all the ranching operations in Encampment, Saratoga, and Riverside, we hope to share the creative agricultural minds in our midst. The “People’s Choice” winner will take home a traveling trophy created by Saratoga Artist, Sierra Smith. The winner and runners-up will be announced the first week of November. The winning ranch, business or family will keep the trophy for one year, then surrender to next year’s winner.
1. Sculpture must be predominantly made of hay (round or square bales, loose hay), other materials may be added (wood, metal, wire, paint. cloth, etc.).
2. Sculptures should be constructed and visible near a highway or county road.
3. Entries due October 2, 2017
4. Final sculptures must be completed by Monday, October 16, 2017.
5. You need not be a rancher to enter, you just need your own hay and materials and a place to display.
6. You do not need to be a member of the Platte Valley Arts Council to enter.
7. Photos of hay bale sculptures will be posted on the Platte Valley Arts Council Facebook page, and a tally of votes placed on that page will determine the winners.
8. The winner will be entitled to keep the traveling trophy for one year, and then will surrender the trophy for the following year’s judging.
9. The Platte Valley Arts Council assumes no responsibility for any injuries that may result in the construction or viewing of the sculptures.
10. Have Fun!!!
The mission of the Platte Valley Arts Council is to keep ART in the Valley. Help us do that with this unique and exciting opportunity. We look forward to seeing what you create.
Good luck from the Platte Valley Arts Council Board Members!
Book Club–First Thursdays
Join the group! Each month, a book is assigned and read. On the first Thursday of each month from September to May, the group gathers at The Red Wagon shop in Encampment at 6:30pm. Enjoy refreshments, great conversation and fellowship! Books will be provided if needed. Contact Leslie for more information.